Sunday, October 3, 2010

My Public Interest Summer, Part 2

This past summer, UBSPI - in conjunction with MLSC and the University of Baltimore School of Law - funded 11 UB law students to work in public interest organizations throughout Maryland.  Their stories and experiences will be highlighted on Out in the Streets throughout the year.  For more information about our summer public interest grants, click here.


This summer I had the great opportunity to work for Community Legal Services of Prince George’s County (CLS).  CLS has three legal clinics and a pro bono and reduced fee referral program.  Its self-representation legal clinic is located at the Prince George’s County courthouse in Upper Marlboro, MD.  CLS also has a worker’s rights clinic and a Latino outreach family law clinic in Hyattsville, MD. 

I first wanted to work with CLS because I would be able to help my neighbors in my own county while using my Spanish language abilities in a legal context.  My main responsibilities were opening the Latino outreach clinic, conducting intake with clients, and researching legal issues as assigned by the attorneys at CLS.  I have gone from being very self-conscious in Spanish to being able to listen, understand, and help people with complex family and landlord-tenant issues using only Spanish. 

As I reflect back on my work, I am happy to have helped many of my neighbors seeking legal representation.  My desire to do public interest work has been piqued and I intend to continue working in the public interest field, both in English and Spanish.  I am very grateful to both CLS and UBSPI in helping me this summer.  Muchísimas Gracias!

--- Catrina Aquilino, University of Baltimore School of Law

No comments:

Post a Comment