Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Public Interest Summer, Part 4

This past summer, UBSPI - in conjunction with MLSC and the University of Baltimore School of Law - funded 11 UB law students to work in public interest organizations throughout Maryland.  Their stories and experiences will be highlighted on Out in the Streets throughout the year.  For more information about our summer public interest grants, click here.  


I had the fortunate experience of working with the Maryland Crime Victims' Resource Center (MCVRC). For those unaware, the MCVRC is a non-profit legal service provider that aides victims of crime throughout the criminal justice system in Maryland.  The MCVRC not only aids victims in the courtroom, but also stands as an important resource for both victims and the community in general. Their services range from court accompaniment and representation to education, outreach, and mental health counseling.

My experiences were both challenging and fulfilling. My first assignment was to research, edit, and comment on a draft of agency regulations for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB) - nearly all of which were adopted into the final draft. From there, I aided attorneys by researching for cases, editing legal documents, and investigating defendants' assets.  I also drafted and filled subpoenas and helped to institute 24 hour access for crime victims through an online intake interview that produces a document allowing victims of crime to assert their rights pro se in federal court all across US states and territories. My internship at MCVRC was far beyond simply filing papers - it provided me with real legal experience while I worked to make a difference.

In addition to my experiences, I should mention that the people with whom I worked were a true pleasure. From the legal team of competent and knowledgeable attorneys to the tireless and dedicated victim advocates, each provided me a sense of professionalism I had not experienced before. I learned a great deal from my co-workers and I personally recommend that any future public interest grantee should seek an opportunity to work with the employees at the MCVRC.

No comments:

Post a Comment