Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Public Interest Summer, Part 6


This past summer, UBSPI - in conjunction with MLSC and the University of Baltimore School of Law - funded 11 UB law students to work in public interest organizations throughout Maryland.  Their stories and experiences will be highlighted on Out in the Streets throughout the year.  For more information about our summer public interest grants, click here.


My experience at House of Ruth's Domestic Violence Legal Clinic was beneficial to me because it showed me that I absolutely can use my legal education to help those who are disenfranchised, impoverished, or otherwise unable to help themselves. 

On a personal level, the clinic provided an amazing opportunity to make a huge difference in the life of a client each and every day.  Clients depended on our clinic as a last resort to find a way out of some truly horrendous situations.  The great weight of their dire plights were counterbalanced by their overwhelming gratitude when we were able to make a difference.

On a professional level, this internship provided an opportunity to get real practice experience that is unmatched by any other opportunity of which I am aware.  At any given moment, I have five to ten clients for whom I was responsible.  I conducted client interviews, gave them information, and acted as a liaison to legal counsel.  I was able to truly advocate for clients to try and solve everyday problems. 

This was an experience that will undoubtedly prove to be invaluable in my future legal career.  I would be honored to work for House of Ruth in the future and would unequivocally recommend the experience to anyone interested in Public Interest Law.

--- Justin Wilkinson, University of Baltimore School of Law

No comments:

Post a Comment