Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Public Interest Summer, Part 8

This past summer, UBSPI - in conjunction with MLSC and the University of Baltimore School of Law - funded 11 UB law students to work in public interest organizations throughout Maryland.  Their stories and experiences will be highlighted on Out in the Streets throughout the year.  For more information about our summer public interest grants, click here.

This past summer I interned for the United States Marshals Service, Office of General Counsel.  The Office of General Counsel provides legal representation and advice to U.S. Marshals Service senior staff and the thousands of Deputy U.S. Marshals in field.  In addition, the Office of General Counsel adjudicates over 400 administrative tort claims each year, filed pursuant to the Federal Tort Claims Act, 28 U.S.C.§§ 2671, et seq..  My primary duty was to process my assigned administrative tort claims from "cradle to grave."  I would conduct a factual investigation, then research the applicable state law, and finally draft a legal memorandum in which I made my recommendation on the claim.  Each legal memorandum was reviewed by the tort claims administrator, a staff attorney, and ultimately approved or denied by the General Counsel.  In addition to these responsibilities, I completed an in-depth legal analysis of how well a particular law enforcement technique complied with Fourth Amendment search and seizure law.  

I was drawn to this internship because I hoped to match my commitment to public service with my interest in constitutional law.  My internship experience far exceeded my expectations.  After the numerous field trips to FBI Headquarters, the ATF K-9 training facility and the Supreme Court of the United States, along with the interest each staff attorney took in my personal and professional development, I am left with only gratitude for the experience, and appreciation for the challenging work the U.S. Marshals Service provided me over the course of my ten week internship.  I would recommend this internship to any student wishing to translate a strong public service drive into a career with the Department of Justice.

--- Brady Locher, University of Baltimore School of Law

No comments:

Post a Comment