Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Reflections from the Field, Part 2: Homeless Persons Representation Project (HPRP)


This past summer I had the opportunity to work with the Homeless Persons Representation Project in Baltimore, MD. HPRP provides a number of legal services to the homeless and those at risk of homelessness, including direct representation in housing and public benefits cases as well as expungement of criminal records. My work this summer focused on public benefits cases (Temporary Cash Assistance, Food Stamps, Medicaid, etc). 

Working alongside staff attorney Francine Hahn, I was able to gain valuable experience in public benefits and administrative law. I also worked directly with the Baltimore City Department of Social Services, negotiating with agency appeals representatives to secure positive outcomes for our clients. I had a lot of direct contact with clients, conducting initial intake interviews, investigation, and on one occasion accompanied a client to her local DSS office. Working one on one with our clients was particularly eye-opening and rewarding at the same time. Many of our clients were families with young children - families who were living in homeless shelters, but were being denied the assistance they needed to purchase basic necessities like food. 

I also had the opportunity to work on matters of public policy, conducting legal research and drafting memoranda on issues related to public benefits. I found this work particularly rewarding, so I recently accepted a position back at HPRP as the Linda Kennedy Fellow in Advocacy for the 2012-2013 academic year. My experience this summer was truly transformative and would not have been possible without my MLSC/UBSPI grant. 

Spencer Hall, 3L 

No comments:

Post a Comment