Thursday, February 7, 2013

Reflections from the Field, Part 3: Heartly House, Inc.


Courtesy of the University of Baltimore School of Law and the Maryland Legal Services Corporation, I had the wonderful opportunity to spend my summer working at Heartly House, Inc. in Frederick, Maryland.  Heartly House is a non-profit organization serving victims of domestic violence, sexual abuse, sexual assault, and/or child abuse by providing shelter, counseling, legal services, and 24-hour support.

While working in the legal department, I conducted outreach in the courthouse to pro se petitioners seeking temporary protective or peace orders informing them of Heartly House services, did trial preparation for clients, drafted pleadings and motions, met with clients to help them file for divorce and/or custody, observed mediation, attended seminars throughout the state, and educated clients on Maryland’s new landlord/tenant laws providing benefits to individuals who have received final protective or peace orders.

Having the opportunity to serve the community of Frederick County, Maryland, the community I grew up in, this summer was an unforgettable and fulfilling experience.  The connections I made with clients and colleagues and the knowledge I acquired affirmed my decision to work in the field of public interest.  Thank you, University of Baltimore School of Law and the Maryland Legal Services Corporation for providing this grant allowing me to give back to my community.

Carin Janet, 3L

No comments:

Post a Comment