Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Reflections from the Field, Part 4: Office of the Public Defender (CINA Division)


This past summer I had the opportunity to intern at the Baltimore City Office of the Public Defender in the Child In Need of Assistance Division (CINA).  I had been wanting to intern with the OPD but I was a little worried about this particular office, because the clients are parents who are accused of child abuse or neglect.  During my interview for the position of law clerk, the supervisor asked if I could handle this type of work, because you don't really get to deal with cute and cuddly kids.  I said yes, but wondered in the back of my mind if that was the truth.  To be honest, a lot of cases deal with parents who have fallen on hard times.  Rather than the monsters you might expect in such an office, many of the clients have drug problems, mental health issues, or are simply poor.  A lot of work involves finding the right help for the parents, such as anger management workshops, parenting classes, or affordable housing.

My supervising attorney for the summer is exactly the person you want on your side if you have the misfortune of requiring a public defender.  She is very passionate and bends over backwards to help her clients.  If a client had no way of getting to the courthouse, she would provide a bus pass or a ride herself.  She has an extensive knowledge of community-based programs that provide aid and I swear she lived out of her office.

I had an amazing experience in my internship.  My supervising attorney gave me a variety of tasks, which I'm grateful for.  There was never a dull moment at that office and, although most times the work can be sad and daunting, the attorneys and staff find a way to stay positive and upbeat.  Thank you for the opportunity.

Amanda Kosmerl, 3L

No comments:

Post a Comment